A 15-year-old footballer has died after being shot in what Brazilian police believe was a case of mistaken identity following an amateur football match in Maceió, Brazil.
Micael Leandro da Silva, a former youth player for São Paulo FC, was struck by gunfire on August 1 after taking part in a Taça das Grotas tournament fixture. He was rushed to hospital but later died from his injuries.
Police said Micael was not the intended target and believe the attack was linked to a dispute between rival drug trafficking gangs. Authorities stressed there is no evidence the teenager was involved in any criminal activity.
Several other people were also injured during the shooting.
Micael, the youngest of five children, had built a promising football career. He previously trained in São Paulo FC’s youth academy, was most recently with Centro Sportivo Alagoano (CSA), and was preparing to join Retrô FC Brasil in Camaragibe.
During his time at São Paulo, he represented the club’s Under-14 and Under-15 teams and helped them win the 2026 Copa Fictor Under-15.
His father, Marcos Antônio Leandro, said the family had been left devastated by the tragedy.
“The match had just finished and he was getting changed, so he had no chance to run. I’m devastated. His siblings haven’t stopped crying,” he told local media.
He described his son as a talented young footballer whose life revolved around the sport.
“From a very young age, he stood out in football. It was all he lived and breathed. He was excited about returning to the pitch and couldn’t wait to travel to Recife to join Retrô.”
Marcos added that, despite the family’s financial struggles, he had always encouraged his son’s football ambitions.
Police are interviewing witnesses and reviewing CCTV footage as part of the investigation. No arrests have been made, and inquiries remain ongoing.

